Chipboard Altering is Endless

Yes, I said it, endless. There are probably dozens of different ways to use, decorate and alter chipboard. Chipboard is a fabulous way to add dimension and texture to your project. Chipboard works great on cards, layouts and altered projects such as frames and tins.

Here I am going to show you how to ink, cover with patterned paper and mist your chipboard.

To begin you need chipboard! Chipboard is sold by almost every manufacturer and I will be using Close to My Heart Chipboard and my own chipboard today. You can also create your own chipboard with a thin piece of chipboard and a die cutter.



Other materials I used were modge podge, Close to My Hear Ink and Re-Inker, Tattered Angel's Glimmer Mist, paint brush, Close to My Heart filing tools and sanding tools, scissors, patterned paper and a sponge.



First I will show you how to cover your chipboard with patterned paper. You will need a piece of chipboard, modge paint, paint brush, sanding tool, scissors, and ink for edges is optional.



You will begin by paint modge podge on the top of your chipboard and put it on the wrong side of the patterned paper. After the modge dries (which usually only takes a few minutes) you will take your scissors and cut around the chipboard leaving a small edge of patterned paper extending around the chipboard.

Your next step is sanding the edges of the chipboard so it smooths to the edges of the chipboard. Here is Simon showing you how to sand your edges. (I could not figure out how to use both hands to work on the chipboard and take a photo so Simon volunteered to sand for me!)



Here is the finished look of the chipboard after sanding the edges.



I add ink to the edges of my chipboard to hide any imperfections on my cutting or sanding.

Here is the heart on a card that I created with the Love Life stamp set, blank ink and black and white card stock.


Next I used Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist to spray my chipboard. I used the Creme de Rouge color to spray three stars that I will use on a scrapbooking layout. When using Glimmer Mist, keep the bottle approximately 6" away from the item you are spraying and when spraying apply even pressure and strokes. I used 3 layers of Glimmer Mist to cover the three stars.




Here is the layout I created using the chipboard stars. I used some retired Close to My Heart paper "Notebook" and a sketch from blueprintsketches as inspiration.  I also sprayed my 12x12 cardstock with the Glimmer Mist to pull out more of the color.



Another fun way to be creative with chipboard is to create your own spray ink using Close to My Heart re-inker, water and a spray pen. Not only is it fun it is super easy. All you do is take your spray pen, add 3-4 drops of re-inker and fill with water. If you want a pearl finish you can add a few drops of Close to My Heart pearl paint.



Spray using the same technique as with the Glimmer Mist. I will show this on a complete project on a post tomorrow!



Finally, you can create your own chipboard with a die cut machine. You will need a thin piece of chipboard and your die cut machine. If you are using a Cricut, you will need a deep blade housing and turn your machine to "multi-cut" at least 3 times. I had to turn it on multi-cut 4 times.


I used the Art Philosophy Cartridge and used the layered butterfly to create this beautiful piece of chipboard.


I then grabbed some scrap paper and covered it and then used my file set from Close to My Heart to sand the inside scrolls.



My favorite part about the Close to My Heart chipboard is that it coordinates to sizes on the Art Philosophy Cartridge or creating your own chipboard allows you to cut one piece in chipboard and another piece in paper and cover it without all the fussy cutting.

Now it is time to grab your supplies and start playing with your chipboard.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stella by Stripology Quilt

July Art Philosophy Blog Hop

" THE ARTISTE IN 3D BLOG HOP"